The history of Pula starts way back, actually up to a million years ago, hominid remain dating back that far was found in a cave close to Pula, pottery documents a real settlement in the Pula area from year 2000 – 6000 BC. The development of the city took pace, after the Istrian peninsula was concurred by the Romans in 177 BC. The city as an important port managed to grow to a size of 30.000 inhibitors and achieved a colonial rank. The main sights of the town (like the Arena and the Forum), is buildings from the period of the Roman ruler ship, which lasted till the collapse of the Roman Empire.After the Roman Empire, the City was, like the rest of Croatia in the hands of changing rulers, like e.g. Byzantine Empire, the Slavs, Republic of Venice, Genoese, before an almost 500 years long period under Venetian ruler ship from 1331 to 1797. Of course the city suffered under the changing of the rules, which often was a result of battles, causing great damage to the city, by the middle of the 18th century the city was close to extinction as only 300 inhibitors was left, after years with war, malaria, typhoid and plague.
The rise and shine of Pula came in the beginning of the 19th century, when the Austria Empire (Later Austrian-Hungarian Empire) took over the ruler ship of the city, already by the middle of the 19th century Pula had become the main navel base in the Austrian Empire, and the Danish Admiral (working for the Austrians) Hans Birch Dahlerup appointed the city as the Ship building centre of the Austrian Empire. At the beginning of the 20th century the population of the city was close to 60.000.The collapse of the Austria- Hungarian Empire and the WWI was the next set back for Pula, the city came under Italian ruler ship after the World war. The lack of shipbuilding contracts, let to massive dismissals in the ship building industry, which had many people leave the city. In WWII the city was taken over by the German Military, which eventually let to several air raids on the city by the allied.
Finally on September 15, 1947 Pula became a part of the Yugoslavian republic and eventually a part of Croatia.
When one thinks of Pula first thing that comes to mind is the impressive Arena ampheteather. Arena was built in the 1st century by czar Vespasian. In the ancient times Arena was the center of the bloodthirsty gladiator fights. Today Arena is used for summer concerts, plays and other sort of performances... Underground space of Arena was transformed into a museum where one can see an exibition showing viticulture and olive oil production in Istria during Antique period.
Triumphal Arch of the Sergi – Golden Gate
Triumphal Arch of the Sergi is located at the very center of Pula and it was built between the year 27-29 AD by the Sergi family. The Arhc itself was built in the stile of Corinth and its decoration is Helenic.
The temple of Augustus
The temple of Augustus is dedicated to the czar August and godess Roma, and was built somwhere betwen 2-14 year BC. This is an ipressive building where one can see an exibit showing Antique sculptures of bronze and stone.
Church and Monestary of St. Francis
The church and the monestary are dedicated to the St. Francis of Asisi. This complex was built in the 14th century and one can find that both Gothic and late Romanic ornamentation were used for decoration.